Friday, March 12, 2010

Fun with Etiquette: Work it Out
















You know one or more of these questions has floated around in your brain while at the gym...at one point or another. "No way, " you say, "I haven't thought about ANY of these things!" Maybe...or maybe you're just not admitting it. Either way, I'm publishing it here because (a) it makes for a good read and (b) you know it's something you've heard at some point during your encounters with a gym. These questions and answers were published in the February 2010 edition of In Style magazine, in the "Life, Etc." section.

What's an appropriate amount of nudity in the locker room?
It's less about how naked and more about how long you're in the buff. This isn't your home. Do what you need to - just keep time in your birthday suit brief so others aren't uncomfortable. (*note from LA808Girl - yes, this means you, ye who walks aorund the locker room naked before AND after showering and holding fully-fledged conversations with everyone in sight!)

The woman on the treadmill near me chats nonstop on her phone. How do I get her to keep it down?
Sometimes a simple look in her direction can suffice. Or tap her on the shoulder and let her know she's bothering you. If that makes you uneasy and your club has a formal "no cell phone" policy, alert the front desk. A staffer will handle the situation. (If no such policy exists, talk to a manager about implementing one.) (*note from LA808Girl - I'm not even sure how comfortable I would be with telling someone, "Shut the eff up, I'm working out over here!" Well, a little more eloquently, of course)

I love a good workout but not the sweat someone has left behind. What's the best approach?
You're within your rights to say politely, "Excuse me, but could you plesae wipe that down before you go?" And when you're exercising, carry a towel to cover benches or other surfaces before you use them to avoid becoming part of the problem yourself. (*note from LA808Girl - oh damn, and here I was just carrying around a towel because I didn't want to catch some sort of sweat fungus or something, not because I sweat on the benches! HA HA!)

I'm stuck next to a personal-space invader during a class. Help!
Some people lack spatial awareness, meaning she many not even realize she's too close. Ask, "Would you mind if we gave ourselves a few more inches?" Deal with repeat offenders by having your instructor address zoning issues at the start of the next group session. (*note from LA808Girl - I don't know about everyone else, but sometimes the music is so loud I'd need a megaphone to "ask politely" that they step up off my shizz. Yeah, don't think that would work @ my gym...I'd be yelling, not asking nicely.)

How do I handle equipment hogs?
Most should be willing to step out of the way or alternate sets with you. A simple "May I work in with you?" is a reasonable request. (*note from LA808Girl - unless that equipment hog is sweating all over the equipment. See answer to question #3. )

I'm training for a marathon. Does the 30-minute limit on cardio machines really apply?
When others are waiting, a rule's a rule. Avoid peak hours (generally 6 to 9am, 11am to 2pm, and 5:30 to 7:30pm). Keep in mind that pros stress alternating cardio equipment to build endurance. If your time is up on a treadmill, hop on the Stairmaster, elliptical or bike. (*note from LA808Girl - there was the one lady at another gym who managed to be "using" every type of cardio machine at the same time. When you walk up to one, she'd run across from another machine and exclaim, "I'm using that one!" Yeah, right, lady. )

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post - I especially hate those excessively naked bitches at the gym.